Riverside Quicklinks

Born out of Prayer

Born out of a prayer meeting held by various members of Glen Hope Baptist Church during the middle of World War 2 Riverside began in 1943. From this humble beginning land was acquired from Mrs. Leddie McPherson located beside the Haw River. When Sherman Young, the founding pastor, asked Mrs. McPherson for some land she told him to go out into the cow pasture, tell the cow to move over and move the fence after he staked out the land.

The initial structure was a building having belonged to Rev. Young’s brother and used for Prayer Meetings at his home. This building was moved to the new location next to the Haw River and still functions today as part of the Fellowship Building of the church.

Riverside has through the years been committed to the faithful preaching and teaching of God’s Word. From the very beginning those who served this church have been careful to maintain the integrity of the Bible and a conservative approach to its teaching.

Missions and ministry have been a integral part of the life of this church and continues to be its driving force today. Whether it is local mission within our community or reaching to Brazil through the work of Missionary Kenneth Cates or around the world though joint cooperation with the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention, Riverside believes strongly in missions.

Ministry opportunities abound also through the church with strong emphasis on our Vietnamese Church, puppets and children’s choir. We continually seek to evaluate where the needs are and how we might best address those needs.

Affiliation

Riverside is affiliated with the Mount Zion Baptist Association, the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and the Southern Baptist Convention

Location

Riverside is located 1.3 miles below Interstate 85/40 on Highway 54 East (also known as Harden Street) in Graham, North Carolina. (Get Directions)

Favorite Links